Friday, November 6, 2009

Writing on the wall: My sister

With the past week being real shitty, I didn't update at all. But I did still write something for each day. I'll try to get caught up this weekend.

For November 2, 2009

This excerpt comes from the story I started last semester, Writing on the wall. I initially didn't really have any plans for the story, but the more I thought about it, I wanted to see where I could take it. So this part is when the main girl, Zoe, is talking about her older sister, Aidan.

My older sister, Aidan, was in deed a force to be reckoned with. Not only was she the bold, outspoken older sibling, but she made it a point to live up to the meaning of her name: fire. Once she began dressing herself, Aidan chose to wear warm colors, like reds and oranges. She took up salsa dancing in middle school and continued through high school, winning a few awards during those years. People didn't think she would be that good at salsa dancing, but boy did she prove everyone wrong. Aidan was a five-six, curvy little ball of energy that was always the life of the party; but being the life of the party wasn't an easy job.

Aidan had to “keep up appearances” with the numerous social crowds that she ran with. Barbeque's during the summer, movie nights once a month, and countless nights clubbing. She was always cycling in and out of the house, changing clothes to blend with the group she was going out with and ranting about so-and-so talking shit about so-and-so. It was hard to keep up with all the drama that went on with her friends, but over the years I had perfected the skill of ignoring most of what Aidan dished out. Yet I still paid enough attention to repeat to her that Julie from high school auditioned for Broadway but didn't make it and that Dustin and Brian from the swim team she met over the summer both hooked up with Becca in the same week.

I was almost the complete opposite compared to my sister. I behaved more toward our Japanese genes than our Irish ones. I upheld the “traditional” quite, Asian girl stereotype, never speaking out of turn or raising my voice unless necessary. Granted, I did look more Japanese while Aidan had stronger Irish features; and because of that, I feel as if I fell into my personalities to match my looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know you have something to say...so just say it!