Thursday, October 22, 2009

Lack of Life

Narrative
Female, 32-years-old
After a long day at work, all I wanted to do was go home, have some dinner, take a long, hot shower, and maybe have a glass of wine and fall asleep with my dog at my feet. Working in retail for over seven years had taken a toll on me, in more ways than one. I was always moody, every single night, after dealing with impatient and rude customers for nine hours a day. I was physically drained, having to run back and forth across the floor, collecting garments placed in the wrong section by lazy and inconsiderate people. And I was most of the time very disappointed in myself for not having the guts to quit that horrid job I no longer found excitement at. My job was embedded in my everyday routine that I was afraid if I were to leave, I wouldn't find anything else to fill that empty spot that would open up in my life. This job I'd have for so long seemed to suck all the energy out of me that I barely even went out with friends anymore. I didn't go to the movies, or go bowling on the weekends. I never took drives anywhere either. And I missed that. I missed actually having a life. I missed living. So I decided that I was going to start living again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know you have something to say...so just say it!